Pumpkin Crunch Cake...or Cobbler...or Pumpkin Crisp...something that sounds as good as this tastes...

I've been in a pumpkin mood lately. This weekend I made black bean tomato pumpkin soup (really tasty, although I did make some changes, but click for the original recipe), pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (my mom's recipe that I've been meaning to post), AND this (the picture doesn't do it justice):

What is this cakey-moist-crunchy-pumkinny-nutty goodness?

I'm not sure what to call it. Help me come up with a name if you make it! The recipe I started from was called Pumpkin Crunch, but I don't think “crunch” is the first word that pops into my head when I take a bite of this. What pops into my head is how good and rich and salty-sweet and moist melt-in-your-mouth-best-of-pumpkin-pie-and-apple-crisp-put-together-with-the-added-dimension-of-cold-ice-cream-melting-on-top-as-you-take-a-bite.


Hope I didn't raise your expectations too high. But it's good. If you like pumpkin pie and warm apple crisp/peach cobbler you will LOVE this. Here's my version:

Ingredients:
1 Package Yellow Cake Mix (butter recipe yellow) [I didn't have a cake mix, so I made my own with 1 cup sugar, 2 cups flour, 1 Tbsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp vanilla. It was just as good!]
1 Can (15oz) pumpkin
1 Can (12oz) evaporated milk (I used fat free to cut some calories)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup (1 stick) melted butter (I halved the butter from the original recipe!)
1 Cup (about) chopped Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters, or chopped almonds or pecans (I actually did a combination of all three...the original recipe just called for chopped pecans, but the granola nut clusters made it SO good! I'd suggest using the Roasted Almond variety)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Whisk together pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Pour into pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture. Top with nut/granola mix and drizzle melted butter over pecans. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.

We just had this tonight and haven't had the chance to try it cool, but the original recipe suggested to serve it cool with whipped cream or Cool Whip.*

Give it a try and let me know what you think!


*Chamberlain family be warned, if this is good cool, I might bring it to Thanksgiving!

Comments

Maggie said…
You amaze me! Let's just say I miss having you as a roommate. I loved all our Sunday dinners!
Amanda said…
Oh, good, then I'll have the benefit of tasting it without the work and mess of making it!
Okay UPDATE: we can't decide if we like it better hot or cold! Great treat either way! It's totally coming to Thanksgiving!

Popular Posts