Aunt Mara's Stuffing

When I asked Mara if I could post her (mother's) recipe, she said I “might seriously underwhelm [my] readership.” ;) It's not the most difficult stuffing recipe, nor are there any ingredients that make it “gourmet,” like sausage or apples or pecans. But it's my favorite stuffing recipe, and I know a lot of people in my family feel the same way! It's a fairly easy recipe (and it is so delicious), here it is for you!


Aunt Mara's Stuffing

Ingredients:
24 cups cubed (about three jelly roll pans), dried bread* (leave out or dry in oven)
2 cubes of butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cups chopped celery
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dried sage
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
2–3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 eggs

* Mara said her mom uses homemade bread, but if you don't want to make homemade bread, buy some nice artisanal bread


Directions:
Place cubed bread in LARGE pan or bowl.
In a medium saucepan, add butter, onion and celery. Melt butter and cook until onions and celery are soft and slightly translucent. Stir in salt, pepper and dried sage.
Pour butter mixture over bread and distribute evenly.
Pour evaporated milk and chicken broth over bread and “stir until fairly gooey.”
Beat two eggs and stir in.
Flatten stuffing in greased pan. Bake at 350º for about an hour.

Mmmmm....I can almost taste it now! Can't wait to have it at Thanksgiving!

I hope you'll try this recipe (even if it's not for Thanksgiving, just half the recipe), and let us know how you like it!

Thanks, Mara!!

Comments

lisa said…
yum. been looking for a great stuffing recipe--and I prefer it without all the extra bells and whistles. We'll definitely be trying this one!

Popular Posts