Zucchini Soup

I had another huge zucchini from Gram's garden and saw this soup recipe and thought I'd try it. It was so so so delicious! As good or better than Zupas! I modified mine a little, so here's my recipe:

Zucchini Soup

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp butter
3 cups sliced zucchini (seeded if it has large seeds)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I threw this in at the last minute, but if I could do it over again I'd just do a couple cloves with the onion)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you want a little spice)
1/2 cup low-fat evaporated milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Bacon bits (or cooked and crumbled bacon)

Directions:
In a large pot cook onions (and minced garlic if adding) in melted butter until tender. Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender (10–15 minutes). Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder (if wanted). Cool slightly. Puree mixture (I did mine with a hand blender, but you can pour it in a blender). Stir in evaporated milk. Return to pot and reheat, but don't boil. Add grated cheese (I didn't do a full cup) and sour cream (I didn't add all of it). In serving bowls, garnish with more cheese and sour cream (if desired) and bacon bits (this makes it really yummy!). Serve with warm crispy bread.

Comments

lisa said…
mmmm this sounds good! I've got another zucchini soup recipe for you to try next time you end up with some zucchini. In fact, you ought to bring it on over and we'll provide the rest of the ingredients! It's nice and spicy--Ryan and I LOVE it.
janica said…
oh wow this sounds good!!
janica said…
ok i'm commenting again, because I made this on Friday... SOOOO GOOD! I can't even describe how good it is!

Popular Posts