Bittersweet Chocolate Pecan Pie

Pecan pie just got a lot more exciting.
I made this for Thanksgiving this year and it was a hit. Pecan pie lovers loved it, and pecan pie haters loved it! Thanksgiving's over, but give it a try!

Ingredients:
4–8 oz. good-quality 60–70%-cacao bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli chips)
Pastry dough (my mom's recipe follows)
2 cups pecan halves, toasted and cooled (toasting brings out flavor: 350° for 10–15 minutes)
3 eggs
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar (I used dark because I didn't have dark corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup dark corn syrup (I used light)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375° with rack in middle. Melt most of the chocolate in a metal bowl set over a small pot of barely simmering water, stirring (this went way faster than I thought it would). Remove from heat.
Roll out dough on waxed paper and put in pie pan (a little trick: put the pie pan on the dough, then flip them over together). My edges aren't very decorative, but you can make yours festive.
Spread chocolate in bottom of pie shell with back of spoon and let it set for a few minutes.
Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl, then whisk in corn syrup.
Cover chocolate with pecans. Pour mixture over pecans.

Bake pie until filling is puffed and crust is golden, about 50–60 minutes (if the crust is browning too fast, wrap edges loosely with foil). Melt the rest of the chocolate and drizzle over the pie. Serve warm or room temperature.

Comments

Popular Posts