Danish Rice Pudding!

I cannot believe I forgot to post about the Danish rice pudding with our Christmas Eve dinner!!! Once my mom saw that posting, she emailed me and told me I forgot the best part!

So for Christmas Eve (or sometimes New Years Eve), we make Danish rice pudding for dessert. What makes it special on Christmas Eve is that we hide one blanched almond in the pudding (or just put it in one of the bowls—so we don't have to eat it all), and whoever gets the almond gets a prize! If you get the almond, you're supposed to hide it in your mouth until everyone is done eating. This year Stew got the almond! He quickly put it in my bowl and told everyone I got it. Silly. A box of chocolates and a card game was the prize this year!

I don't have a picture of the rice pudding (which I think is why I forgot to post about it), but it looks like...rice pudding. So use your imagination or Google if you need to.

Danish Rice Pudding
(or Porridge, but I think that sounds gross)

Ingredients:
2 cups rice
6 cups milk (my mom uses skim and it turns out just as good)
1 cup cream
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Cook rice and milk together in a heavy pan, about one hour (taste it to see if the rice is done, sometimes it takes longer, just be patient). Add more milk if it gets too stiff.
When rice is done, add the cream and salt. Stir together.
Serve HOT (it gets really stiff when it's cool) with cinnamon and sugar, and butter if desired.

*We like to eat the leftovers for breakfast, just add a little milk and microwave it!

How to blanch an almond:
Put a few almonds in a cup of very hot tap water (I say a few because sometimes one doesn't work). In a few minutes, you'll be able to slip the skin right off!

It's not too late to make this for New Years Eve!! Well, maybe it is a little late...but make it soon, you'll love it!

Comments

Popular Posts