Pepper Jack Chicken Pizza


Last Saturday I wanted to make Liz's BBQ Chicken Pizza. To my dismay I didn't have any mozzarella or monterey jack cheese, so I just made up a new pizza. It turned out really good! It's spicy, but not too spicy (you can vary the heat with cayenne).

Pepper Jack Chicken Pizza

Ingredients:
Pizza dough (recipe follows)
1–2 cans of tomato sauce (depending on how saucy you like it)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
2–3 Tbsp hot sauce (I didn't have this, I used a spicy spice mix I had, but I would do hot sauce next time)
cayenne pepper (might not be needed if you do hot sauce)
Chicken, cooked and cubed or shredded (I used canned chicken)
1–2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Green pepper, diced
Onion, diced
Other toppings: red pepper, jalepe
ño (if you wanted to go spicier), etc.
Cilantro

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425º. Make pizza dough and roll out on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. Combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cayenne. To half of this, coat the chicken. Spread sauce on top of dough with a big spoon, top with coated chicken. Sprinkle most of the cheese evenly over the pizza. Top with peppers, onions, etc. Bake for 15 minutes on the lowest oven rack. Sprinkle with cilantro and bake another five minutes. Top with more cilantro before serving, if desired.

Liz's Basic Pizza Dough
1 Tbsp active dry yeast (I like to use fast-acting yeast)
1 cup warm (105–115 degrees) water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
3–4 cups flour (I like using half white and half whole wheat!)

Mix yeast and water in bowl. Cover and let stand until foamy, about five to ten minutes. Mix in the oil, honey and salt to the yeast mixture. If using a KitchenAid or Bosch mixer, add one cup of flour at a time. If mixing by hand with a wooden spoon, add all three cups at once. If the dough seems too wet, add more flour 1/4 cup at a time. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead in more flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough is moderately stiff and somewhat firm to the touch. Lightly grease pizza pan(s) or cookie sheet(s). I like to sprinkle the pan with cornmeal, I think it adds a lot! Using a rolling pin, roll our the dough to fit the pans. Let the dough rise (it won't rise very much) while you make the sauce.

Let us know if you make this, and what changes/alterations you make!

Comments

Deborah said…
I definitely need to try this crust recipe - I love that it has honey in it!

Popular Posts